I began 2016 with a new found enthusiasm to improve my health and diet, a recent trip to Australia had reminded how much healthier Sydney living was and so with my 37th birthday looming I decided it was time for a lifestyle overhaul! One of my biggest downfalls was (along with lack of exercise) a diet high in sugar and carbs. An unhealthy habit exasperated by working film and TV, an industry renowned for it's long relentless hours which increased these cravings tenfold.
Determined to find healthy alternatives that could substitute the high levels of processed sugar, gluten and dairy I was consuming I came across a lovely Waitrose recipe that ticked all of the boxes, this is my adaptation of their sticky bites of goodness.
Gluten & Dairy Free Chocolate Date Slices
Approx Time: 15 Minutes plus SEtting Time
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 50g unsalted cashews
- 50g almonds
- 200g pitted dates
- 1 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 75g Dark Chocolate
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- Put the cashews, almonds and coconut in a food processor, blend until finely chopped.
- Add dates and maple syrup, blend into a paste
- Spread the mixture onto baking parchment , about 1.5cm thick. Place in the fridge
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Once melted spread over the date mixture, sprinkle with sea salt if using. Return to fridge.
- Once set cut in to squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge